Mr. Koch is recognized as an expert in the field of anti-money laundering compliance and risk management.
For more than 20 years, he has designed, implemented and managed compliance programs and related technology solutions for some of the world’s largest and best known financial institutions.
He enjoys an excellent reputation with regulators and law enforcement. He has been hired by several institutions to lead compliance enhancement and remediation projects, helping them meet their commitments under various Written Agreements and regulatory proceedings. In addition, he provides Expert Witness, independent testing, and regulatory advisory services to governments, regulatory agencies, financial institutions, private equity firms, family offices (wealth management) and law firms.
He has served on numerous arbitration panels adjudicating sales practice and suitability cases involving securities industry broker-dealers and their registered representatives.
A sought-after speaker at industry, government and law enforcement conferences, he has presented to groups including the United States Department of Justice; the Departments of Homeland Security, State and Treasury; the IRS and DEA; members of the intelligence and diplomatic communities; the Federal Reserve Bank of New York; and regulators, legislators, international organizations and Financial Intelligence Units in Europe, Latin America, Canada, Asia Pacific, and the Middle East and North Africa.
New York County District Attorney’s Office: most recently served as an Assistant District Attorney and Counsel to the Investigation Division in the New York County District Attorney’s Office. The Investigation Division included the Major Economic Crimes, Cybercrime, Rackets, Fraud, Tax, Asset Forfeiture, Corruption, and Counterterrorism Bureaus, as well as the International Money Movement Center and Financial Intelligence Unit.
Chief Compliance Officer of Western Union: Prior to joining the DA’s Office in November 2015, Mr. Koch was the Chief Compliance Officer of Western Union, where he managed a global department of more than 2,100 professionals, responsible for AML/BSA/OFAC; Consumer Protection and Fraud Risk Management; Global Security; Internal Testing; Systems & Analytics; Training; Licensing and Regulatory Exams; Project Management; and Risk Assessments. He represented Western Union on FinCEN’s Bank Secrecy Act Advisory Group, created by US Congress to advise the Secretary of the Treasury on BSA issues. He was a member of the Supervisory Board of Western Union International Bank GmbH, an Austrian bank licensed by the Finanzmarktaufsicht (Financial Market Authority).
Associate General Counsel at JPMorgan Chase: Mr. Koch was previously a Managing Director and Associate General Counsel at JPMorgan Chase, where he served for five years as the legal counsel for JPMC’s global anti-money laundering compliance program. In that capacity, he handled issues related to complex criminal investigations and subpoena compliance; preparation and filing of Suspicious Activity Reports; and cases involving Black Market Peso Exchange, human trafficking, corruption and organized crime, terrorist financing and drug money laundering. He worked closely with JPMC’s Financial Intelligence Unit to develop A Financial Footprint of Human Trafficking, which served as a catalyst for the formation of the U.S. and European Bankers’ Alliances Against Trafficking.
His prior legal and compliance experience includes:
- Global Head of Anti-Money Laundering: American Express Company
- Senior Vice President, Risk Management & Investigations: Charles Schwab & Co.
- Senior Vice President, AML, OFAC, International and FCPA Compliance: Smith Barney
- Deputy Commissioner/General Counsel: NYC Commission for the UN and Consular Corps
- Second Vice President and Associate Counsel: The Chase Manhattan Bank, N.A.
- Corporate Attorney: Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
- Koch received his Juris Doctor degree from the New York University School of Law, and his Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, from the University at Albany.
- He has also studied in Copenhagen, Cambridge, and Warsaw
- He has taught courses in International Business Law as an adjunct professor at Fordham University’s Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Currently on the adjunct faculty at the Benjamin Cardozo School of Law, where he teaches Global Corporate Compliance to 2L, 3L and LLM students.
- Served as Chairman of the New York State Bar Association’s Committee on the United Nations and Other International Organizations
- Served as Co-Chairman of the New York chapter of the Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (“ACAMS”) and as a member of the ACAMS Advisory Board.
- Current Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Association of Certified Financial Crime Specialists (“ACFCS”).
- Founding member of the U.S. and EU Bankers’ Alliances Against Human Trafficking.
- Served as Chairman of The Consular Law Society, Inc.